RE: Definition of CoHousing, Christian CoHo, etc. . .
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:23:34 -0500
I found Katies definition missing one thing, and maybe it was hidden in the
design part and it just didn't stand out enough, but somewhere in every
cohousing project is the desire to create a closer sense of community with
neighbors.  This seems to be the driving force of why people do these epic
real estate developments in the first place, and seems to be the primary thing
that sets cohousing apart from a condo.

For example, would it be still be cohousing if three people partnered to
design and build a condo for profit, but had no interest in anything other
than a place to live? No sense of community amoung the neighbors, even if the
design had the parking on the outside? It would be participant designed,
resident managed, design to be communty friendly. It could have
non-heirarchical decision making, heck most condos have a board.

It seems to me, that desire for closer relationships to the neighbors is a key
element of cohousing, without it these are just condos.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood Cohousing
Cedar Village Permaculture Retreat Center (not cohousing)