Re: City vs Country
From: lisa and brian voith (voithannap.infi.net)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:35:53 -0500
Ben Sher wrote:
> Perhaps what we need now is a new kind of "in fill" in which the population
> is more evenly dispersed across the landscape, wherein these
people live in closer proximity to the earth and to food production, in
which they cohere in something more like the scale of cohousing.  The
great cities will persist; and so too areas of wilderness.  But the
greater proportion of humankind is going to have to learn anew how to
live relatively non-destructively and in harmony with the landscape
across the great breadth of it.  I don't perceive any other alternative.
> Meanwhile civilization--in all its forms, both urban, rural, and everything
> in between--as it is presently constituted is deeply
problematic: billions of people utterly dependent on very fragile
systems of food production and transport and water delivery and sewage
and solid waste disposal and energy provision: all of these systems can
and probably will fail or run out in the next century, in different
places and at different times, and millions
> will suffer hugely.
>
>YOu hit the nail on the head Ben. Thank you for stating it so well!I am
>delurking to ask that anyone interested in cohousing in the
Virginia, Maryland areas to please contact me directly thru e-mail.
                                          Lisa Voith