Re: replies to cohousing defines, christians, etc.
From: Scott Cowley (scowleyaclis.lib.utah.edu)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:36:59 -0500
My apologies for not taking the time to better qualify my use of the term
"christians".
Thanks to Al Morel for helping out there.  But please don't "love" me, Al, just
talk with me.

Nevertheless, Katie, the question which Denise responded to by calling me a
racist,
is still on the table:
"When was the last time _any_ christian group openly welcomed any moslems,
buddhists,
atheists, etc., etc. to share in their bank account or babysit their kids ?

For me Cohousing is only  a vehicle which _might_ have the potential for
establishing some principles to which I can agree.  Those being,
  1. a better environmental model for housing, land and energy use,
  2. a professed openness to the inclusion of those traditionally
disenfranchised,
  3. a local and democratic form of governance

I'm not willing to sacrifice any of these principles to your demands for
general civility.
The discussions on cohousing-l too easily falls toward a "hippie country club"
mentality, which can
be awfully leaden.  Politics and principles must have a place here, or we're
dead.
I have received several messages from people who have unsubscribed because they
felt that it was
for people who are "just out for themselves".

A plea:
If you can agree with the above 3 principles, don't call it christianity, or any
of the other major forces of historical oppression. Just do it.

By the way, my mormon experience is the first time I experienced any community,
and which,
though limited, has been a powerful influence in my choice of community
building.  I think
those who assume that it is the source of my disgust for traditional christians
are only
touching on a tiny fraction of it.

Nice talkin' with ya.
- Scott