press release instructions, new Coho Netwk
From: Marci Malinowycz (SoDanceclassic.msn.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:13:09 -0500
Kay Abrahams is still on the road, so I'll post the press release in a message
I'm sending at the same time as this message. For those that received a hard
copy of the press release at the conference, the one I will post contains her
final edits entered after the brunch plus minor copyedit tweaks by me.

This message contains her instructions, which were on the reverse side of the
conference handout. For questions about the press release or the instructions,
contact Kay at kayruth [at] aol.com and (303) 554-1799.

-- Marci

Steps for disseminating this press release

Sept. 21, 1997

Dear Cohouser,

The national transition team and I have prepared this press release to help
get the word out about Cohousing and the formation of our new umbrella
organization: The Cohousing Network. As you know, the media is a powerful tool
and your grassroots effort will surely make a difference.

I suggest the following steps in contacting your local newspaper or other
media outlets you wish to approach. Telephone the newspaper and ask for
editorial. Then ask for the news assignment desk. You should then be connected
to the news assignment editor (or whomever is sitting at the desk at that
time).

Indicate that you're calling with news about the Cohousing movement. You may
want to pause and ask if the person is familiar with the concept. Most likely,
you'll need to say a few lines of explanation: e.g. resident created
neighborhoods and we're developing one here in _______ (your town). Indicate
you have a press release you'd like to fax. Pause and ask if they're
interested in seeing it. If yes, get their fax #, send ASAP, and follow up
with a phone call, perhaps an hour or two later to:  1) find out if they
received the release; and 2) would they like to cover the story.

The press release may stimulate the news dept. to assign a reporter to do a
full feature story on your community and on cohousing in general.

In your cover note for the fax, I suggest you indicate that the national media
has recently been reporting on the cohousing movement, with recent articles in
USA Today (July 15), The New York Times (Sept. 7), plus recent broadcasts on
CNN (Sept. 13) and upcoming programs scheduled for "Sunday Good Morning
America" on ABC-TV and "Dateline" on NBC-TV. (The press is often more
interested in a story if other media outlets have covered it first.)

It would be helpful for your local press if you supply them with other
articles that have been written and you put together a press kit. Suggest you
include the following stories that are in your blue take-home folder:
Metropolitan Home (Jan/Feb '97), Vegetarian Times (July '96), Mothering
(Winter'94), and the growth of cohousing in the U.S. chart. Please feel free
to delete my name on the press release and type in your own name and number,
or add your name and keep me as a backup contact.

I am willing to make myself available as a resource if you want help or
guidance in the media contact process. I am designating Wednesday nights from
7-9 pm (Colorado time) to take calls at (303) 543-9482. I'm suggesting half
hour blocks of time per person, and would appreciate if you would call or
e-mail me by Tuesday morning the day before to schedule a time (e.g. 7-7:30 pm
or 8:30-9 pm). I'll call or e-mail you back to confirm.

I'm also volunteering to collect, organize and maintain a resource library of
media coverage of cohousing. If you have any stories, videotapes or audiotapes
of cohousing reports-both current or in the past- I'd appreciate it if you
would mail them to me at:

Kay Abrahams
3770 Smuggler Place, Boulder, CO 80303-7248.

Best of luck in all your efforts.
Kay
(e-mail: kayruth [at] aol.com).
(303) 543-9482.