more appraisal help, please!
From: Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob (dmmjwco.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:23:34 -0500
Katie McCamant recently pointed out to us that although most cohousing
developments are townhouses, which get lower appraisals than single family
homes, many of the people who buy into cohousing move out of single family
homes.  In our group, this is true: of the 9 households planning to sell
their homes to move into our project, 8 are selling single family homes.
And of the other 5 households, who currently rent, 3 are renting single
family homes.

We would like to be able to tell our appraiser:

"Single family home owners buy townhouses in cohousing".

This would support an appraisal of cohousing units being closer in price
to single family homes in our town than to townhouses...which is what
they're going to cost to build.

Folks in existing communities and communities currently being built, could
we get a seat of the pants guesstimate of how many households sold or left
single family homes to move into townhouses in your cohousing project?

Thanks very much!

To keep posting traffic low, please respond just to me and I will post the
results I get. (Unless of course you have something interesting or
contradictory to add....)

Denise Meier
Two Acre Wood
Sebastopol, CA