Re: built spaces for kids
From: Willie Schreurs (WillieGreyrock.org)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:12:11 -0500
> From: Leni Reed <ssavvy [at] erols.com>
> Date: Monday, September 29, 1997 9:19 AM
>
> I do not think it's a good idea to build a separate playroom, . . .
> . . .
> Instead, I think it would be good to dedicate a corner of the dining area
as
> the kids' space. . . .

I don't think that would be a good idea for any but the tiniest of
communities.  At Greyrock Commons there are about 30 kids and, believe me,
the whole is noisier than the sum of its parts!  We have one playroom quite
close to the dining room, with a glass door and a window so that they can
be seen and loud noises can be heard.  When we were designing our common
house someone from another community used the phrase "able to hear screams
but not giggles" as a criterion; it's the best rule of thumb I've come
across.  Also, the kids eat their meals with us (at least for the first
10-15 minutes).  After that, an adult or responsible older child will be in
there with the younger ones.

> Finally, I think the ideal spaces for kids are outdoor spaces and
> semi-outdoor spaces (porches)...and giving thought to these spaces is
> important, too.

I heartily agree.  Greyrock has a porch off its dining room and the
playground is just off the porch.  This summer after the kids had had their
fill, they just melted into the outdoors; they had a blast, we had relative
peace and quiet.

    /\                        Willie Schreurs                        /\
   //\\ <Willie [at] Greyrock.org>(H) <WSchreurs [at] vines.colostate.edu>(W)
//\\
  ///\\\            Greyrock Commons, Fort Collins, CO             ///\\\