Re: Children's Access and Safety Issues
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 07:59:55 -0500
Hi all - I have the opposite question.  We're not moved in yet, but I'm
already very comfortable being my kids' "safe base".  They disappear with
other kids and members at every meeting, social event and site tour - to
return to me or their dad only when they really need US in particular.

Lately, I've noticed my kids (ages 6 and 3) being too rough on some of the
younger, nonparent grown-ups and getting away with it because the adult
didn't know how to respond. Other nonparent adults seem to handle them
effortlessly - in fact, most of them get better behavior from the kids than I
do.  Given that any adult in cohousing may have to set boundaries for the
kids at any time,  how has your group dealt with sharing parenting
skills/rules throughout the group, especially among nonparents?

And, for the record, Eno Commons will have a separate playroom adjacent to,
and visible through a window from, the co-dining space. Limiting the noise in
the dining room was an important consideration in our design.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eno Commons
Where I've got our kitchen full of cabinet doors, flooring samples, and
lighting catalogs just waiting for new neighbors to join and make their
selections.