Re: built spaces for kids
From: porcupin (porcupinshocking.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 15:51:52 -0500
Unlurk...

Hi,
I've been reading about the kids/noise/design issues.  Here at Valley
Oaks  Village it is clear to me that manners and supervision not
structure is paramount.
As a parent it is very clear that there is a tendancy to "tune out" all
but the the screams of pain or outrage from rough play.  At other times
parents will let their children process a ten minute tantrum while you
wait to get your food.  If parents don't keep a constant check on
activities the kids (mine included) will run screaming in circles around
the dining room.
What we need are agreements that parents are responsible for their
childs noise/activity levels at all times.  Other adults will have to
learn not to be shy about asking (politely) that the thunder be held in
check or diverted.
The kids room does contain some of the noise but it can also be a place
where unsupervised groups can develop conflicts that noisily emerge into
the dining area for resolution.  In the winter it is just too small to
hold all the kids reasonably so look to having kids going outside in all
but the harshest weather.  Also consider the lighting on any play areas
outside your dining area and make sure it is sufficient.  I do not
believe ours is and the kids crash around in the dark.
If you think the kids noise will be contained in a "glass box," think
again. Envision your kids spaces first as play spaces and only slightly
as a noise diversion space.
Good Luck
John Poteet