Starting Up
From: Chris/Meri-Kate Holt (holtsMNSi.Net)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:43:23 -0500
I have made the decision to start working towards a cohousing comunity in
my area and I have two questions for anyone out there.
        1) I would like to start planning my community ASAP. However, my
financial
time-line would not permit me any large expenditures for approx. 18 months.
>From the initial newspaper article, how soon would I be looking at the
first large expenditure, assuming we work at a moderate pace through the
planning stages, and;
        2) I have noticed, reading many informative books and web pages, that
the
clear majority of cohousing residents are educated, white-collar type
individuals. I am one of those, (Architectural Designer/Urban Planner)
However, the city I live in (200,000 pop.) is predominately blue-collar. I
am unsure as to the feasability of a cohousing development in this type of
city. are there any developments out there which have been built in a
blue-collar town and if so, what has the experience been like?

                        Thanking you in advance for your help,
                                Chris holt