RE: Elitist lifestyle or public good?
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:55:16 -0500
I the cohousing movements job to take on affordable housing. It is not a
problem caused by cohousing. Home ownership will NEVER be available to
everyone in America. Never has been before, can't imagine it ever will be. A
very key and very understated defining characteristic of cohousing is that
there is individual ownership of homes. (or shares).  I think if you remove
this, you will first lose bank support, then you will lose most public
support. The number of people that have hundreds of thousands of dollars to
give away to communities are pretty small, like I can count them on the
fingers of one hand.

I do agree that cohousing movement should support efforts by groups that want
to make home ownership available to those who are close but not quite
available. That's pretty much been accomplished in some places. To try and
make it a goal of the movement to solve the affordable housing problems of
America would doom cohousing faster than you can say equity building.

Rob Sandelin
Check out the resources at
http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/nica/resource.html