New Ptld, OR group
From: Jerry Jordan McIntire (contrajhevanet.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 01:44:21 -0600
We are four people in Portland, Oregon who've started
meeting monthly, and we'd like to find other folks who are interested in
a close-in, affordable cohousing community. We've had three meetings. We
want to be close to the center of Portland, and we find the
cost-per-unit prices of existing buildings attractive. We've talked
mostly about buying an apartment building and having owners do their own
remodeling rather than create a uniform plan for all of the units. The
group of course would be responsible for the building's exterior, the
grounds, and converting some of the apartments into common spaces. We'd
especially like a courtyard apartment building (perhaps a U shape) with
green space at the center. Our goals are lots of shared resources and
meals, age diversity (along with others), shared childcare, garages or
basements, and prices below Portland's current average-- units starting
at $75,000.

     We know it will be two years or so before this can become a
reality. If you'd like to talk to us or visit a meeting, please contact
me, Jerry, via e-mail: contraj [at] hevanet.com   Or, call Amy at (503)
335-8912. In a week or so we will have a list of our "non-negotiables"
(thus far) ready to send out. The list is a fuller statement of our
goals for the community. Maybe we'll have a name by then also!

Also, anyone with experience converting an existing building in a
similar manner, we'd love to hear from you so that we could ask some
questions.

Jerry