Retrofit cohousing
From: Kevin Wolf (kjwolfdcn.davis.ca.us)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:34:02 -0600
Oops.  I sent this out with the wrong subject line.  Also, I would
appreciate any other updates about retrofit cohousing efforts.  I know of
two being started in Santa Cruz - they are at 2 and 3 houses each but hope
over the next decade to bring in the whole block.  Kevin

At 07:19 PM 12/14/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm Jerry from a new Portland, OR retrofit housing group looking for a
>name, and I like the idea of identifying ourselves in posts, which was
>happening for a while on the coho list...
snip

Jerry,

Congratulations on your new retrofit housing group.  Please tell us about it.
How many houses?  Are they all contiguous?  Do you plan on growing?  How
big are the yards? When were the houses originally built?  Do the kitchens
face the backyards/common space?  What type of legal considerations have
you made - eg. easements on yards?  Have you developed yourselves into a
legal institution (N Street still hasn't though is closer to making the
decision).  Do you have a common house or plan on getting one?  How do you
pay for it?

A number of us think that retrofit cohousing offers an enormous opportunity
to expand the movement and your story will be interesting.  Thanks.

Kevin Wolf
N Street Cohousing