Re: cohousing and disabilities
From: Merlin Porter-Borden (merlpberols.com)
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 08:31:54 -0700 (MST)
robin waller wrote:

> When I was at the cohousing conference in Sept. I was scared to talk
> about my MS. I'm very interested in cohousing, but I'm not sure if I
> could put in the amount of work....

    People put into cohousing what they are willing, able, and inspired
to give.  We are entering the construction phase and of our 21 families,
the range of effort expended on the project runs from huge to a small,
but we accept, gratefully, every small bit of help.  A key element, I
believe, is that we give without expectations for the level of effort of
others.  The desire to help is nutured in an environment of acceptance
of whatever people are willing to contribute.  To do otherwise would no
doubt lead to friction.    We have a person in our group who has MS.
She is one of the huge contributors.  She doesn't  "tilt that bale," but
she contributes largely in non-physical ways as an organizer, idea
person, and motivator (checks on actions).  You will no doubt hear from
her.

Merlin Porter-Borden, Liberty Village, Maryland
County Sign-Off of Development Plans Completed.  Bids solicited.