The year in review
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 13:37:17 -0600
I am sending you all, my internet friends, a letter about the year at
Sharingwood. I would encourage you all to reciprocate.

Another year has gone by. The major events in a social community involve the
comings and goings of people. We had our first family leave the community this
year. Lots of people have come and gone before actually buying into a house
and this was the first family with kids that has left. We cobbled together a
goodbye ceremoney which was very touching. We had two other families move onto
the land, as well as people shifting homes. Over the summer we  launched the
school around us, a  random series of educational events. The first event was
a local historian who came and with large maps and slides gave us a history of
the area we live in. This attracted a number of the families from outside the
community as well. Another school around us event we had a resident doctor
explain about colds and flus, how they transfer, their life history.We also
had a well-known professional musician come a do a whole history and
explaination of the nutcracker, accompanied by slides and music. I finally
figured out the story. Hope to continue the school around us and expand it
during the coming year.

The homeschool coop continued to use the commonhouse, shifting from science to
history this year. Numerous parties were held in the commonhouse. We finally
installed some path lights to the commonhouse after a year of using the
building. The halloween party budget fair was very fun, aliens and ghosts, and
even death himself made bids for budget items.

In the late fall the much anticipated construction of our second phase began
with large machines moving dirt and dozens upon dozens of truckloads of rocks
to build the road and pathways. The playfield took shape, and several
adjustments were made to the plan as we continue to run into small glitches
here and there. At the same time, the natural gas folks finally started
installing the natural gas lines so the whole area is torn up as they lay the
pipes along the road.

Last night the kids drama club put on "The initiation" their most complex
performance to date, with sets, and lines and even....acting! It was a
standing room only crowd, many folks from outside the community as well. We
then transitioned into our annual new years party with lots of board and card
games, movies for the kids, and loud music.

May your community endeavors bring you happiness throughout the year

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood