Re: coho cookbook?
From: porcupin (porcupinshocking.com)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 18:03:02 -0600
Stephanie Fassnacht wrote:

>   We at Village Cohousing are in the process of programming our common
> house.  I am on the committee dealing with the dining and kitchen
> areas.  Have we ever come up with a lot of questions!!!  Several of
> the questions are grouped around the issue of volume of food needed to
> prepare a dinner for varying size groups, and how much waste of
> various sorts this produces.

Look to your favorite recipe books.  Where it says "six servings" figure
four adults and 1 kid under ten.  You will do best cooking from recipes
that you are familiar with and like.

>   One thing that could be of help here are recipes from other groups.
> In thinking about this a little bit more, it also occurred to me that
> if a coho cookbook were available,
snip
There is a moosewood vegetarian cookbook for groups.  If someone shows
up with a copy borrow it and burn it. Some of the worst glop that I have
ever been served started there and ended up served at our common meals.

> it would give new groups something
> to start with, instead of their having to figure out for themselves
> how long it takes the pasta to cook (stove and pot-size dependent, I'm
> sure), how long to allow for stir frying, -- or just what kind of
> meals work and which ones don't.
snip

Pasta takes the same amount of time to cook but the water takes forever
to boil.  Walk into the kitchen and put the water on the stove.  Don't
ever try stir fry unless you have a commercial kitchen stove with a
LARGE grill.  There just isn't enough heat coming out of any other kind
of stove to stir fry for more than 4 people and not have it be soggy.
The speed at which food cooks is dependant upon ample(steady) heat and
the shortest distance from the center of the food to the source of heat.
Example: pancakes-fast, casserole medium, turkey- s l o w.  This doesn't
change if the oven is full but does if the soup pot is too big for the
stove.

>   Is there a coho cookbook available anywhere?  In light of the recent
> thread on lack of time for chores, I won't even ask if anyone wants to
> take on the task.  However, if anyone out there wants to send me a sample
> recipe (or post one to the list), I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> Stephanie Fassnacht
> Village Cohousing
> Madison WI

If you want good recipes try "The Silver Palate Cookbook" ISBN
0-89480-204-6, "Sacremental Magic in a Small Town Cafe"(this one is
incredible really) by Peter Reinhart, or "The Greens Cook Book" by
Deborah Madison.  These are all worth the hassle of special ordering.
I know i'm a pain in the rear about food but I once cooked at some very
good cafe's in the wine country and I hate seeing good food ruined.

In honor of the Super Bowl: Barbecue Sauce from "Sacremental Magic.."

2 cans (28 ounce each) tomato puree
8 cloves fresh garlic pressed
1 medium onion
4.5 cups white sugar
2 cups red wine vinegar
5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
5 tablespoons liquid smoke
1/2 cup light molasses
1/2 cup Brother Junipers Chile Peppermash of 4 tablespoons Tabasco
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt

Mix all of the above in a large pot, bring to boil and simmer for ten
minutes.  Turn off the heat and stir in
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice.

This will keep in the refrigerator indefinately.  I don't know I've
never let a batch go more than 2 weeks.

Peppermash- 3 pounds fresh red jalapeno peppers
                        4.5 cups red wine vinegar
                        10 large cloves of garlic, peeled
                        3 tablespoons salt.

Wash and stem the peppers and blend or cusinart until smooth.  Keep the
lid on tight.
Good luck.

John Poteet
Valley Oaks Village
Chico CA.

Where I've watched my neighbors eat some terrible food in order to avoid
insulting the cooks.