RE: Neighbor's property values
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:04:57 -0600
The issue should be uncohousized. Cohousing is not one whit different than any
other multi-family housing condo project in terms of effects on local property
values. So get your comparisons from local multifamily projects. This is a
smoke screen issue that people always use and it's bogus. It is pretty
difficult to show that property values are effected negatively by new housing
development, and local developers in the Tuscon area should have stats to show
this. I would be very surprised if any cohousing group anywhere has any real
data on adjacent property values, and has data that proves property values
changed due to the cohousing.

Its a non issue unless all your neighbors are single family homes and you are
the only multifamily development. Then, assuming zoning is OK, they have a
valid argument. But if there is other multi-family in your area, you can just
point to that and say that existing multifamily development had no negative
effect on property values, and cohousing is no different. And then move the
burden of proof to them by declaring there is no data that shows existing
property values to decline due to multi-family development. If anybody
challenges this, ask them politely for their data. Odds are high, they will
have none, and not be able to find any either. Lots of things make property
values decline, new housing development is not one of them.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood