RE: common house refridgerators
From: Deborah Behrens (debbehauto-trol.com)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:37:40 -0600
At Highline, we're just using a used household side-by-side refrigerator
donated by a resident.  We don't do extensive stocking of supplies
available for sale to residents, other than soda pop.

Leftovers are generally sold or used within a few days after our
twice-weekly meals, or cleaned out by our 'rot-patrol' on a somewhat
regular basis.  Mostly what gets stored longterm in the refrigerator are
condiments - salad dressings, katchup, mustard (we should have more
refillable salad dressing/condiment containers, but don't).  We do end
up with excess ice cream in the freezer often, which gets recycled on to
future meals.  Occasionally something will get stored for a future meal
(turkey for thanxgiving), but generally we buy in the day or two prior
to a meal, when we know how many are attending.  We don't belong as a
community to a food coop - that takes more advance planning than we have
been able to deal with so far.

We have kitchen noise problems but not from the refrigerator
specifically - more from the dishwasher and general meal cleanup.  I
wouldn't have an ice maker in my home refrigerator, but it's valuable in
the common house one (actually I think it's broke at the moment tho).

                           ____
                          /    \
                         /~~~~  \
 | Debbie Behrens               debbeh [at] auto-trol.com  |
 | Highline Crossing Cohousing     H: (303) 797-7779  |
 | 1611 W Canal Ct                 W: (303) 252-2215  |
 | Littleton CO 80120              Fx:(303) 252-2249  |
 |       Rocky Mountain Cohousing Association         |