Re: common house refridgerators
From: Sanda Everette (severetteed.co.sanmateo.ca.us)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 00:04:52 -0600
Jeffrey Leitch wrote:

> JoycePlath [at] aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Hey, I assumed that folks would take into consideration their climate but
> > our
> > cool climate is not the only one in which the concept of a cool box can
> > work.
> >  I have used them in areas with hot summers by running the duct underground
> > in a shade protected area for a long enough distance to allow air to cool by
> > contact with the cool earth.  It works even better if the earth is damp.
>
> Joyce, & group: I'd heard years ago about nataural air conditioning by
> running ducting/tunnels/whatever underground (depth below 2 ft? length
> 200 lf? 4" duct? 8"+?)- something I think the Mayans were into.
> Cool, eh? Anybody out there know any specifics?
> Jeffrey Leitch
> Cohousing Northwest, Seattle WA

At a permaculture class, I heard about using such underground tunnels
both for cooling in the summer and heating in the winter--particularly
in reference to greenhouses.  I will see if I can find out more.
--

Sanda and Brian Everette
San Mateo Cooperative Community

Toward a sustainable lifestyle:
grow some of your own food and/or know who is growing it.
Permaculture for the Urban Gardener, March 14
http://www.wordrunner.com/sanda/urbperm.htm