Re: COHOUSING-L digest 395
From: Robin D. Ellison (Robin.D.EllisonDartmouth.EDU)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:31:54 -0600
--- You wrote:
> Joyce, & group: I'd heard years ago about nataural air conditioning by
> running ducting/tunnels/whatever underground (depth below 2 ft? length
> 200 lf? 4" duct? 8"+?)- something I think the Mayans were into.
> Cool, eh? Anybody out there know any specifics?
> Jeffrey Leitch
> Cohousing Northwest, Seattle WA

At a permaculture class, I heard about using such underground tunnels
both for cooling in the summer and heating in the winter--particularly
in reference to greenhouses.  I will see if I can find out more.
--

Sanda and Brian Everette
--- end of quote ---

U shaped PVC tubes buried beneath the frost line with a 200ft run  with one end
in the greenhouse and one end above ground outside.    Cold air sinks in to the
end outside and comes out the other end at 40 degrees F.

This would work for a cool room anywhere.

Robin Ellison
Hartland Co housing
Hartland Vt.

Six committed households, 250 acres sustainable farms and forest. Hiring the
design team.