cooling systems
From: barbara keppel (71612.340compuserve.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 21:33:42 -0600
My California raised late husband told me that in the days of
'49, the miners took a wooden box, covered it with felt, and
dripped water onto the felt. The evaporating water cooled the
contents. Pretty basic, but it worked very well in the low
humidity. Could you adapt the idea to do at least part of your
cooling.

Also about partial cooling: The U. of Nebraska at Omaha partially
air conditions it buildings by pumping water from underground
springs thru the system. The water is then used to keep the lawns
and shrubbery green. During droughts, there are always lots of
complaints from folks who don't know how the system works.

My daughter, who farms in rural Iowa, reminds me that if our
power goes out, I should take my down sleeping bag and head for
the basement floor which will stay near 40F. Out there, where
wind chill may drop to -100, she has reason to keep this in mind.

BobBI Keppel