RE: Shared Live /Work Space
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:41:19 -0600
Matt Kiefer mkiefer [at] peabodybrown.com
is the author of the message below but due to a problem ** it was posted

** (In case you're curious, the problem was quoted message included
unquoted message id which violates email loop detection safeguards)

Roberta McCreary's query (say that five times fast) about shared live/work
space refers to a concept that pushes the edge of the land use envelope,
mostly because building, zoning and fire safety codes are all based on
segregation of uses.  It is difficult  to mix uses in one building for this
reason--that's why the result is usually a layer cake, with each use treated
from a code point of view as a separate building.  Artists live/work space
breaks the box a little by mixing living space with "home occupation" type
work space--i.e. no employees, etc.  But these are separate units, with no
or few shared work spaces. Stewart Brand talks about a shared live/work
concept in a former factory in or near San Francisco in his excellent book
"How Buildings Learn." You might also e-mail him at brand [at] responsible.com.

On 1/27 Roberta McCreary <rmccreary [at] worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>We're beginning a group process to create a combination shared work
>environment and shared living environment.  Does anyone have experience
>in developing this type of project?  So far,our group has attracted most
<deletion by Fred>