Re: RE: Shared Live /Work Space
From: JoycePlath (JoycePlathaol.com)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:43:19 -0600
Making the common house a separate commercial building solves most of the
building code problems.  At Marsh Commons in Arcata California we have a
large common house owned  separately (same people as the homeowners assoc.)
so that we can treat it as a for profit partnership for tax purposes.  About
half of our space is rented to local businesses or used as offices by our
members.  This income pays our common house morgage and taxes.  We look
forward to generating a profit in a few years and buying some summer property
, maybe it could become a retreat area for cohousing community members in
Northern California and Southern Oregon.