Responsibilities of Renters
From: Joani Blank (jeblankic.org)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 01:14:31 -0600
>We are certainly open to the idea of some people buying a unit and
>renting it out - indeed we see that as a way of making it accessible to
>those who are very keen on the concept but don't have the capital to buy
>in. We haven't worked out the finer detail of who would then get voting
>power and on what issues - the owner or the resident. Does anyone have
>suggestions about that?

At Doyle Street, renters are full participants in all respects (including
"voting power" which we don't use, cause we work with consensus), except
that they aren't involved in decision making on issues that involve money,
or our annual budget discussions.This is a condominium, so owners have to
fulfill the financial obligations just like all the resident owners, and
has to be sent written notices of certain official meetings.

Joani Blank
Doyle Street and Old Oakland CoHousing (where it looks like we will have
nineteen or twenty out of twenty units reserved on our first go-round of
reservations in just a couple of weeks). And demolition/construction should
begin early in February.