Re: Renters
From: Smith & McGowan (mcsmithalbany.net)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 05:11:15 -0600
Toni Smith Wrote:

Creek's Bend Cohousing in Troy New York is exploring the possibility of
a few owners holding rental units.  Is there experience with "community
participation" on the part of the renters.  One of the typical
advantages of renting is the non-involvement in one's facility or
grounds.  And is there an attempt to hyper select or set a covenant with
all the other homeowners about expectations for community participation
on the part of renters. Meetings, meals, even if optional for anyone are
important for community and I wonder if a renter would find the basic
tenants of cohousing stimulating if they are not fiscally invested.

Toni Smith
CREEK'S BEND IS LOOKING FOR HOME BUYERS WHO WANT TO LIVE ON AN UPSTATE
TROUT STREAM, BREAKING GROUND IN 1999.

Kevin Wolf wrote:

> At 08:19 AM 2/1/98 -0600, Ed Cynewski wrote:
> >In the breif time that I've been subbed to the list, I've noticed that
> >renters are the exception rather than the norm in Cohousing communities.
> >Any feedback about experience with renters in this type of housing would
> >be much appreciated.
>
> Ed
>
> Almost every house in the N Street community started as a rental.  This
> neighborhood was and is known as having among the lowest rental rates in
> town, the most student rentals and least number of owner occupied homes.
> Startiug here allowed us to have many lower income people be part of the
> community.
>
> Six of the houses in the community were bought from their landlords by
> tenants in the community.  By negotiating directly with the owner and not
> through a real estate agency, our community members cut an average of 3%
> off the house price.
>
> Five of the houses in the community are still rentals.  The cost per room
> in these houses are among the lowest in town.  The landlords seem to be
> willing to keep the prices lower because they know they have a good deal in
> no tenant problems, lost rent etc.
>
> We haven't done a study of it but I wouldn't be surprised if over the last
> ten years, especially during the first 5) N Street has had among the lowest
> average adult income of any co-housing community.  (This not so true now
> that more of us have moved up in our professions, and we don't have as many
> students.)
>
> It seems intuitive that by going the retrofit route in a lower income
> housing part of town, there is a much better chance of having the cohousing
> community be composed of lower income people.
>
> Kevin
> Kevin Wolf & Associates    - Consensus Facilitation
> 724 N Street               - Strategic and Watershed
> Davis, CA 95616              planning
> kjwolf [at] dcn.davis.ca.us     - Internet development
> Phone 530-758-4211         - Stanislaus Stakeholder proccess
> Fax   530-758-2338
> http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/kjwolf
  • Renters Ed Cynewski, February 1 1998
    • Re: Renters Kevin Wolf, February 1 1998
    • Re: Renters Smith & McGowan, February 6 1998
    • Re: Renters Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob, February 6 1998
    • Re: Renters Joani Blank, February 7 1998
    • Re: Renters Eleanor Chandler, February 9 1998
    • RE: Renters Rob Sandelin, February 9 1998