Re: Renters
From: Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob (dmmjwco.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:35:36 -0600
It seems to me that the scarcity of renters in the more traditional (and
alas, more common - I think the N street model is the way to go!)
cohousing neighborhoods has to do with the amount of work involved in
making it happen. Four years into this project, the only thing that keeps
me going is the idea of living there. I can't imagine going through this
amount of work, anxiety, and financial risk to own rental property.
Certainly it may happen that the owners of one or more of our homes may
decide to rent them out down the road, if work or adventure or something
else takes them away from the area at some point. But no sane person would
work this hard to be a landlord.

Do you have people who are thinking of buying in in this way? If you do,
then by all means, spend the time to figure out how to work it. But
speaking as one who has put in many hours on "what if" situations that
never materialized, I'd suggest making sure that you've got the interest
first.

Denise Meier
Sebastopol, CAlifornia