RE: Renters
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 08:43:39 -0600
One of the "hot" issues at Sharingwood revolved around renters and "mother in
law apartments. Since Sharingwood is a lot development model, people can
design their own home, with guidance from the archetectural review process we
have created.  Many folks it seems want to build a mother in law apartment in
addition to their home. For some folks, having the income from an apartment
means the difference between being able to build a home at all. Some other
folks use their rental income as their retirement.

So the issue arose how many apartments do we want?  If every home built an
apartment, there would be 60 units at Sharingwood, much much larger than we
all agreed we wanted. Even if we had 20 apartments, that would still make us
the largest cohousing group in America. Nobody seemed really comfortable with
such a large number of units, However, the wicket got very sticky when
"limits" to rentals were proposed, because peoples incomes,or potential
incomes were at stake. Rentals bring in $350-800 per month and some folks who
are already landlords were not interested in any sorts of limits,
particularily if those limits might apply to them. The old red flag of self
interest got hoisted pretty fast.

Those who were not landlords, and who did not want to be landlords became
alarmed that there were too many potential units, and that owners may be
outnumbered by renters someday. Some folks very definately did NOT want
Sharingwood to be a huge community of 100 or more people. Others very much
wanted a large community.  The commonhouse dining space was designed for 70
max.

Another problem is that currently we are 14 out of 29 homes built, with 5
rental apartments. Total of 30 adults, and 18 kids, So we are hardly over
populated, in fact, we are kind of underpopulated for the amount of things we
want to accomplish as a group. The resolution was that we would re-evaluate
limits to rental spaces once 20 homes were built, or 10 rental apartments,
which ever came first. This pushed the issue comfortably into the distant
future, and by the time we get there, I doubt anyone will remember what the
issues were. (particularily since the two loudest voices on either side have
both moved away) But then again, maybe there will be new issues to wrestle
with.

The big problems we had  were trying to deal with projecting numbers of
people. There are a number of three bedroom homes with one person living in
them. This of course, will change over time, but in which direction? Also,
since most Sharwoodians have never experienced any other community other than
their own, they have NO experience with say, 70 person dinners.

By deferring the decision until we had some real world experience, I think we
did the right thing. By the time we get twenty homes built, we will know what
a more populated community is like, and then we can make a decision based on
reality, not conjecture.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood (Where we have 6 new kids)

  • Re: Renters, (continued)