a newbie question
From: Meg Justus (MMJustuscompuserve.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:17:18 -0600
Hi, everyone,

I've been lurking on this listserve for three or four months now, and am
just beginning to think about the possibility of cohousing in my future. =
have a question, though.

Has anyone read a book called The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs (ISB=
#0-553-06796-6)?  It's exactly what the title sounds like -- one of the n=
ew
books about the voluntary simplicity movement.  In this book, in the
housing chapter, she describes one person's experience with cohousing.  I=
doesn't sound like anything I've heard of on this listserve or any of the=

other resources about cohousing that I've come across, including the
Seattle cohousing salon.

Anyway, the section is titled "The $45,000 Small House", and it's about a=

young woman with two children who had joined a cohousing group but needed=

to build her own unit.  She had a finite amount of money, and apparently
the place to build the unit within the community.  The section told about=

how she did it.  =

Does anyone know where this scenario took place?  The author of the book
lives in Seattle, so I'm thinking it must be somewhere around here (I liv=
in Tacoma, WA).  Does anyone know of cohousing groups that have functione=
like this?  Is this a feasable (real) scenario?  =

This was one of the first exposures I had to the concept of cohousing, an=
it's what I'd really like to do someday (I'm never going to have enough
money to join a group building coordinated units from scratch, and while =
admire the retrofit thing, I'm not sure it's what I want to do, either). =
 =

Anything anyone could tell me about this would be greatly appreciated.

Meg
in Tacoma, in yet another apartment, where the trees outside are just
beginning to bud and the daffodils are up, but not blooming yet