Re: design of kitchen area
From: David M. Dobkin (dmdobkinpacbell.net)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 20:19:20 -0600
Stephanie Fassnacht wrote:

>   First of all, I'd like to thank all who responded to my request for
> recipes/cookbook for large-groups.  The information was very interesting and
> will be most useful, if any of us dare cook after all that discussion about
> persons not coming to common dinners because the cooking was so bad!  ;)
>
>   I now have more questions on the same theme.  We are still trying to
> design the common area of our common house, and are trying to get a handle
> on the volume of food that makes its way through the kitchen and auxilliary
> areas.  We are wondering, for example, how much food storage space we are
> going to need.  This would depend on how many people are served per week,
> and how often shopping gets done.  What are these figures for your group?
> Does your community shop monthly?
We have someone whose chore is to shop for staples. A staple list is up
in the kitchen and as we run out, or near to out, items are added.  I
don't know how often this person shops but the system has workled for
four years. weekly?  on a per-meal basis?
Each set of cooks is responsible for that meal. They buy whatever it is
they need to cook for that meal.  Sometimes, there are sufficient
leftovers (and sometimes thaey are planned, not accidental) to cover
part or all of the next meal. We have community meals on Tue, Fri., Sun.
some of
> each?  and in what percentage of total consumption (e.g. 50% once a month,
> 10% once a week?).  How much food does this turn out to be at one time
> (e.g. how many grocery bags, gallons, pounds?).
We gave up trying to quantify. Too much work. We do keep a comon kitchen
recepe book with some fondly recalled meals for others to attempt. We've
also gotten lazy about this.
 How does this stuff get
> handled, e.g. is it all stored in the kitchen area?
Stored in kitchen and pantry--no other place.or is there a hierarchy
> of storage locations with stuff being brought to the kitchen in smaller
> batches?   How big are these areas?  How big is your refrigerator and is
Standard large home refrigerator. More thatn adequate. Do not recommend
a commercial fridge. Noisy, energy mongers, space consuming beasts.
> this the right size?   What things about your kitchen set-up have you found
> to work the best, and the worst?  I've looked in the archives and have read
> the discussion about stoves, commercial hoods etc, but information on some
> of the other areas of kitchen / storage design is not as complete.

If you design a kitchen to meet the needs of a household, it'll meet the
needs ofa the community. just needs to be bigger. Layoput principles are
the same for efficiency. Lots of good books on this subject, sunset etc.

David Dobkin
The still unnamed Berkeley cohousing community