Re: Children: Benefits for, and stories about
From: David M. Dobkin (dmdobkinpacbell.net)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 12:22:41 -0600
Paul B. Chen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I will be giving the next sales presentation for East Lake Commons
> (Atlanta).  It will be at a school and our object is, of course, to
> attract families.  Due to the transitional nature of the area in which
> ELC is being built, we have not had many families join us to date.  We
> hope to change that situation soon.
>
> I would like to enhance our current presentation with a couple of items:
>
> 1)  A list of benefits to children in cohousing, benefits that children
> would not otherwise receive in non-cohousing environments.
>
> 2)  A couple of true life vignettes that illustrate the above benefits.
>
> I would be appreciative of any general observations and specific stories
> that anyone out there would be able to share.  This presentation is set
> for Saturday, 28-Feb.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul Chen
> East Lake Commons
> pbchen [at] mindspring.com

Paul,

In our community, one of the benefits is that single kids grow up with
an extended family of instant brothers and sisters of various ages. This
has the benefit to the child of having older sisters and brothers to
adore (because there is no sibling rivalry). These other children can,
depending upon their ages, act as siblings or sitters.

Also, as children grow into their teens and tend to become less
communicative with their parents, there are other adults with whom they
have become friends during their earlier years.  We have seen it happen
that this is where the teen can speak with a more mature friend, not a
peer, when guidance is desired.

We have eight children, ranging in age from 1 to 15.  Five boys, three
girls. Not only is it great for the kids, but the parents get a break as
they swap children and have time for themselves as adults, with adult
activities.

David Dobkin
The still unnammed Berkeley cohousing community