Re: Food Purchases and Storage
From: Joani Blank (jeblankic.org)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:26:01 -0600
Stephanie,

At Doyle Street we buy food on per meal basis. There are some fairly
minimal staples which are restocked by the kitchen committee on an
as-needed basis and are kept handy in the kitchen. (Flour, sugar, olive
oil, vinegar, spices, coffee, margarine, etc.---you get the idea. We don't
keep beans and other grains in stock, but I  know that many other
communities do.  A "shopping list " is posted in the kitchen so that any
cook can alert the kitchen committee that a certain staple is getting low
or is gone. (Kitchen supplies  that need replenishing, and dishes and other
accessories that need replacing are also noted there. )

Joani Blank
Doyle Street and Old Oakland Cohousing(s)--both in the very wet San
Francisco Bay area where houses on hills are sliding downward these days.