Marketing Materials for Shared Purchasing of a Coho Home
From: Michael Mariner (mykanofone.net)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 01:11:31 -0600
Here in Durango, CO, we at San Juan Cohousing are looking for purchasers
of about 14 more sites/shares and we're "marketing" not only to folks who
can afford to purchase an entire unit, but also folks who would like to
go in on a unit for financial or social reasons.

Is it very common for non-related people to share the purchase of a home?

Who else out there has experience marketing to this constituency?  We're
looking for the following information:

- Floor plans that have one shared kitchen/living area but are designed
for two to four (or more) singles and/or couples to have a fairly private
suite. (I've seen some excellent examples in Ken Norwood's and Kathleen
Smith's book, "Rebuilding Community in America.")

- Financing options - qualifying for a mortgage together including
clauses about reselling shares, etc.

- Social considerations within the household and in the larger cohousing
community.

- Marketing materials/literature to appeal to this kind of buyer.

- Other suggestions/considerations?

I'm strongly thinking of sharing the purchase of a home at SJC myself, so
I have a vested interest....

Thanks,

Mike Mariner

For more info on SJC, visit our website at http://www.rmi.net/~ganesh.
Durango and Bayfield (closest town) are great places to live -- very
beautiful!