Re: What is a "scrolling compressor" on heat pump?
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:29:16 -0600
Hi -

I'm not exactly sure how to explain a scrolling compressor, but yes, I've been
told it does avoid loud noises when it starts up.  Somehow, the scrolling
compressor makes the pump come on gradually and go off gradually.  Although it
runs even more of the time than a standard heat pump, the wear and tear on the
equipment is less, it is much quieter (sounds pretty much like a good
refrigerator), and it uses less energy.

>From something my husband said during our group discussion on this, I think
scrolling compressors have been around a while in a variety of applications -
they just cost a bit more.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eno Commons Cohousing
Durham, NC