upstairs for Common House?
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 23:25:06 -0500

We at RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend Washington are working on our
common house design. There are a number of reasons that second-floor
space would help us out.

BUT the local city building inspector, with Uniform Building Code in
hand, says that we are a type A-3 "assembly" building and that any
"occupiable" upstairs space MUST be handicapped accessible. That
translates into not only the space for an elevator, but around $20,000
elevator cost. Which we don't have.

Question:Who has managed to get upstairs space permitted, that is not
handicapped accessible?
(Is there anyone from Winslow reading this? I remember a Teen Room over
the kitchen.)
How was the building classified, per building code, or what exceptions
applied that allowed that upstairs space? Or is there someone I could
contact to find out?

We'd be very appreciative if you have info to share.

Best wishes,         Lynn Nadeau               welcome [at] olympus.net

General RoseWind info- started 9 years ago, PUD with city,
lot-development model, non-profit corporation with homeowners'
association. 19 families, room for 6 more (in single-family, or duplex or
row houses). Eight homes built and occupied. Three homes half finished. A
straw bale home starts in May. Common House in planning phase-- with
preliminary plans based on our programming and budget.