Re: How do the committees work in your community?
From: Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob (dmmjwco.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 19:34:21 -0500
We early on mandated participation on a committee or as a taskholder for
all adults and have never enforced it, even with subtle social pressure.
It became recognized that certain people were not going to contribute. In
all cases so far, there has been a partner who did contribute, and so the
household was considered to be contributing.

We have noticed a considerable lag time between new people joining and
their actually diving in and getting their hands dirty. It's probably
partly not feeling empowered to make changes or suggestions, and partly
just needing to learn what's going on and what they can contribute....

I remember being at a northern california regional conference
several years ago, and hearing someone from one of the Davis groups say
something like this: "I realized that the rules we would have to enact to
make everyone's contributions equal would turn our community into a place
I didn't want to live in".

I've always been the kind of person who keeps track of who does what and
how much and when, and easily gets resentful (just ask my husband!) but
that thought got through to me somehow. You need to kind of relax a little
about it....

Denise Meier
Sebastopol, CA