Re: COHOUSING-L digest 458
From: Christopher L. Wood (c.l.woodcsu-e.csuohio.edu)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:03:49 -0500
How about designing some kind of ramp? Maybe it could wind around the
outside of the building and be incorporated as a design element?  It would
still add some cost, but probably not be as expensive as an elevator.

>Date: Sun, 5 Apr 98 21:21:27 -0700
>From: Lynn Nadeau <welcome [at] olympus.net>
>To: "cohousing l" <cohousing-l [at] freedom.mtn.org>
>Subject: upstairs for Common House?
>

>We at RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend Washington are working on our
>common house design. There are a number of reasons that second-floor
>space would help us out.
>
>BUT the local city building inspector, with Uniform Building Code in
>hand, says that we are a type A-3 "assembly" building and that any
>"occupiable" upstairs space MUST be handicapped accessible. That
>translates into not only the space for an elevator, but around $20,000
>elevator cost. Which we don't have.
>
>Question:Who has managed to get upstairs space permitted, that is not
>handicapped accessible?
>(Is there anyone from Winslow reading this? I remember a Teen Room over
>the kitchen.)
>How was the building classified, per building code, or what exceptions
>applied that allowed that upstairs space? Or is there someone I could
>contact to find out?
>
>We'd be very appreciative if you have info to share.
>
>Best wishes,         Lynn Nadeau               welcome [at] olympus.net
>

>General RoseWind info- started 9 years ago, PUD with city,
>lot-development model, non-profit corporation with homeowners'
>association. 19 families, room for 6 more (in single-family, or duplex or
>row houses). Eight homes built and occupied. Three homes half finished. A
>straw bale home starts in May. Common House in planning phase-- with
>preliminary plans based on our programming and budget.

Christopher L. Wood
http://grail.cba.csuohio.edu/~chwood
c.l.wood@popmail.csuohio
Don't ask me, I just go to classes <A HREF="http://www.csuohio.edu";>here</A>.