Re: Southern Marin cohousing
From: The Bigony Family (bigonyworldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 13:01:49 -0500
To subscribers of Cohousing-L
from Donna Lomp Bigony of Deerwood Village

I¹m writing to ask for help of anyone who has a friend or friends in the
town of Hopkinton, MA.

Our group is currently pursuing 3 different parcels of land in Hopkinton
that we may end up building on.  The planning board has written a
cohousing zoning to enable us to do that. (There is no zoning in
Massachusetts written for cohousing and only one other in the country.
This zoning bylaw is a major victory for our group and for cohousing in
general!)

Here¹s the catch. The bylaw, although written and recommended by the
planning board needs to be passed by a 2/3 vote at town meeting in May.
We need Hopkinton residents to support it! Do you know anyone who might?
Please give them a call (or give us their phone numbers and we¹ll call
them).

Tell them about the two informational meetings being held at the High
School on Sat. April 25 from 2:00-4:00 and Tues. April 28 from 7:00-9:00
PM.  Encourage them to attend one and then attend town meeting and vote
yes for cohousing.

The cohousing zoning benefits Hopkinton in the following ways: It offers
more affordable housing for single people and elderly, creating more
diversity in housing and people moving in (all new development in
Hopkinton consists of $300,000 and $400,000 colonials with young
families moving in).

It offers 1 and 2 bedroom units as well as 3 and 4 bedrooms (smaller
units are scarce and no longer being built in the town. Empty-nesters
are being forced out of town when they move out of their larger homes.
Young families moving into town and using the school system create a tax
burden that singles and elderly do not).

The zoning requires that minimum 40% of land will be dedicated as
conservation land (current developments cut down 90 to 100% of the
trees). The cohousing zoning requires lower density than other zonings
(less homes per acre than a conventional neighborhood).

Please call anyone in Hopkinton you know who might be supportive. Give
them our number if they have questions: Glenn and Donna Bigony (508)
359-5910.

Thank you!

Peace, love, and joy, Donna