Re: Volunteer labor pool available
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:36:48 -0500
M Henner <henner [at] teleport.com>

I read about the proposal to get co-housing into the
volunteer pool for court ordered volunteer service.

I couldn't understand why anyone would think that co-
housing would qualify.  True, co-housing is a good thing.
True, some are organized as non-profit co-ops.  But that
doesn't make co-housing a kind of charity that should get
help from the state.

No matter how organized, the people in co-housing are
cooperating to organize housing for their own benefit.
Not for society's.  If a bunch of rich guys were organizing
a golf club/country club on a cooperative basis, so they could
all play golf together on a beautiful course, would we think
that they were entitled to court ordered volunteer service
just because they organized as a non profit or cooperative?

M Henner