Re: Lift info
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:40:36 -0500
Lou Host-Jablonski, AIA  Design Coalition Inc., Architects
Madison, WI      designco [at] execpc.com

Per Rob S.'s good advice, I'm posting the lift info message that I sent to
Lynn Nadeau individually:

Lynn,

Here's some info on lift manufacturers:

Inclinator Co. of America, Harrisburg, PA, 717-234-8065

Access Industries Inc., Grandview, MO, 800-925-3100

Concord Elevator, Port Moody, British Columbia (other subsidiaries in U.S.
& Canada) 604-461-0525. Also have webpage:  http://www.concordelevator.com

National Wheel-O-Vator Co., Inc.  (yes, that's their real name!) Roanoke,
IL, 800-551-9095
Also have webpage:  http://www.div14420.com

Whirlteq, Moncton, N.B., 800-298-1480

This info is from the Sweet's Catalog, a standard in the construction
industry. There are also other lift manufacturers which have not chosen the
expense of advertising in Sweet's.  Of the companies listed here, we have
used only Access Industries lifts to date, so I do not have experience with
the others vis-a-vis quality, price, features, service, etc.

Other related products to educate yourself on are below.  Some of the above
companies also carry these:

Lift doors:  These need special hardware to be flush (flat to the surface)
on the inside of the shaft that a lift travels within, and 'interlocks' so
you cannot dangerously open the door when the lift is not at your level.
Some locales also require power door operators, which at $1,500 to $2,000+
a pop are not to be overlooked.

LULAs: That is, Limited Use, Limited Access elevators.  Some locales permit
these.  They are physically smaller and a little cheaper than conventional
elevators.  Quieter, smoother, some extra safety features, more enclosed
than a lift in a shaft, considerably more expensive.

Residential Elevators:  Similar to LULAs, somewhat cheaper still, although
ususally still more expensive than lifts.

Remember, to get the full cost picture, you must compare the TOTAL
INSTALLATION: shaft, doors, lifting device, accessories and options, and
installation.  These are things that your architect should be helping you
with, in conjunction with a good lift/elevator supplier. As you can see,
this is a large field of study.  And this is just a subset of good
barrier-free design in general.

Lou Host-Jablonski, AIA
Design Coalition Inc., Architects
2088 Atwood Avenue