Re: Common house design process
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 22:15:16 -0500
Lynn, we are working with Jim Leach as our developer.  Chuck Durrett
lead our workshop to design our common house and common facilities.
We're using the streamlined model.  There was an article about this in
the latest issue of The Cohousing Magazine.  I can't find my copy
right now, but basically we share the financial risk with Jim Leach
and we have several weekend workshops to plan the site, the common
facilities, and the private homes.   We also had a weekend marketing
workshop.  Katie McCamant came in January and lead us through planning
the site design.  Chuck's going to come again and help us plan our
private homes.

We're planning to build a 3500 foot common house.  I don't know the
budget.  I think we leaned heavily on Chuck's background knowledge and
expertise.

We started with our goals about why we wanted to have a common house
and common facilities.  (Sociability, efficiency, better living,
economy, etc)  Then we listed the activities we thought we would be
doing in the common areas.  Then we talked about the spaces we would
need for those activities.  Then we divided into three groups of about
six people each and prioritized which spaces we most wanted.  We
merged the three lists into one.  Then we went through each room and
listed the activities we saw ourselves doing in each room, the
character of the room, and the relationships which this room would
have to other spaces.  (dining room next to kitchen and within hearing
distance of kids)

We also talked about more general issues. We decided we did want to
spend an extra $2000 to avoid big time toxic materials.  I think we
decided to only have one story. We want there to be room for the
common house to grow.  We haven't yet decided what we will build the
house out of.  We're considering straw bale, but we don't yet know.

In order of priority, the rooms we decided are: kitchen, dining room,
toilet, bulletin board/delivery/coat area, tech closet (don't ask me
about that one), romp room/childcare room, study/living room, guest
room, craft room, laundry room, exercise/music/teen room (we'll see
how that one works) workshop, hot tub, and bike storage.   It looks
like a swimming pool probably did not make the cut, but we'll see what
happens in the future.

With that information, Chuck goes and writes up an architectural plan
for us. He's going to talk with his consultant about sound acoustics
in the dining room so that we can have decent acoustics without paying
too much for this.  Also he's going to figure out far parents, who are
talking in the dining room, can be from the romp room/child care room
so they can hear when the decibel level changes.   But we also want
the room far enough away that we are not disturbed by the noise of the
kids.  Then he will bring it back to us and we will revise it.

Like I said, I think we were very dependent upon Chuck's expertise for
making decisions.  I don't know how people form cohousing groups
without using this streamlined method.  My hat is off to you and your
group.  Once we  started working with Jim Leach and other
professionals, we started moving faster.  Still, there are a lot of
people in our group who have been doing an incredible amount of work.
And even with Chuck's expertise, people in this group have done a
tremendous amount of research.

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to tell you more or refer you
to someone who knows more.

Best of luck to you.

If someone else wants to make corrections or additions to this
description, please do so.