Re: High End Telecom
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsghotmail.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:55:43 -0500
At New View (Acton MA), we have conduit buried which is intended for
future network wiring. Many units wired internally with Cat-5 wires for
phones and networks. The conduits are waiting at least until the common
house is completed before we fill them, as they are designed to
terminate there. We are still undecided about fibre vs. Cat-5 (vs
nothing...).

You mentioned: " integrating the trench design to see if I can get power
and telecom in one set of ditches. I'll keep the list posted as to our
progress."  Just be sure to check your networking specs. Cat-5 used for
10-Base 100 does NOT like to be run parallel to power cables. In our
houses, we had to specify to the electrician to make sure any close
contact between Cat-5 and power cables was done at near-right angles. I
guess there is risk of cross-talk between noisy power cables and
sensitive data lines.

Good luck & have fun

Jim Snyder-Grant
jimsg [at] hotmail.com
Jim_Snyder-Grant [at] NewView.org
Jim_Snyder-Grant [at] lotus.com

Where individual gardening efforts are really making the whole place
look fine; where the common house is about to get staked off as the CH
committee focusses on proposing the next few cuts we need to get our
budget back to where we can start construction; and where our first
post-move-in house turnover is about to happen.