Cellulose Insulation
From: Design Coalition Inc. (designcomail.execpc.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:40:21 -0500
Cellulose insulation is one of the best insulation choices, IMO, for both
envirnomental and energy reasons.

We've found that the method of application (wet vs. dry) is more a function
of your chosen construction method and the skills and preference of your
installer.  With wet-blown in the walls, it's important that the insulation
be able to dry before it is fully enclosed -- a construction sequencing
issue, and one which depends a great deal on the skill of the individual
who is handling the installation machinery (less water the better).  We've
also had success dry-blowing cellulose into new wall cavities, exactly as
would be done in a remodeling situation, before the drywall is finished.
Here again, the key to a good installation is the knack of the installer to
place the material under the proper pressure, and making sure that no
cavities are missed.  And the two techniques are not mutually exclusive;
right now, we're designing for an project that will have areas of both wet-
and dry-blown wall insulation, depending on the specific situation. It is a
small effort for an experienced installer to provide both techniques on the
same job.

Lou Host-Jablonski, AIA
Design Coalition Inc., Architects
2088 Atwood Avenue
Madison, WI  53704

designco [at] execpc.com

608/246-8846 (voice)
608/246-8670 (fax)

  • Cellulose Insulation Dee Dishon, April 28 1998
    • Cellulose Insulation Design Coalition Inc., April 28 1998