Provision for Exclusion
From: Nigel Nathan (nsquaredgn.apc.org)
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 06:04:24 -0500
As our Amadea CoHousing project is fast approaching reality, it is time for
me to come out of the lurkers closet.

The trigger for this is a question from one of our members about something
we hope will never happen but against which we feel we need to be prepared.

We are setting up as a company limited by guarantee which will own the
freeehold of our property and the members will purchase the leasehold of
their unit and share of the commonhouse in what will be one integrated
structure.

Exclusion is not something to which we subscribe but it is possible to
envision circumstances - and I have heard horror stories of such happenings
- in which it is no longer appropriate or desirable for an individual or
family to be part of the community.  Instances could be an individual
becoming long-term psychotic, growing (teenage?) children becoming
unmanageable and disruptive.  If the individual(s) are in denial about
their behaviour it could well be beyond the capacity of the community to
mediate.  i.e. "Neighbours from Hell"

What contingencies/mechanisms could be built into the constitution and/or
leases to force the sale of a member's unit and the consequent separation
of the individual(s) from the community and how could the circumstances
under which this would happen be clearly defined?  Does anyone have
experience of such an instance and/or contingency safeguards?

Nigel Nathan
Reply to: <AmadeaCoHous [at] gn.apc.org>
WebPage: "Community Living" at http:/www.ukonline.co.uk/bristol.goodwill/
Amadea CoHousing Project
where we have acquired a 2.5 acre brownfield site in Silverton, Devon
subject to planning permission for a 20 unit structure
c/o 40 The Crescent, Earley, READING, RG6 7NN, U.K.
Tel: +44-(0)118-962-6882; Fax: +44-(0)118-966-8092

Nigel
<nsquared [at] gn.apc.org>
Nigel Nathan
40 The Crescent