RE: Provision for Exclusion
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 21:21:25 -0500
If you want to have control over membership, them my advice is to setup you
community as a cooperative rather than a condominium. Cooperative legal
structures vary from place to place (check your state rules) but most have
broad latitude in allowing restrictions on membership.

The drawback to cooperatives, is that in many areas, it more difficult to get
bank financing (usually done as a group mortgage rather than individual
mortgages. The other drawback is that you are jointly liable, which mean if
one person doesn't pay their share, the other members have to pay it for them.

As far as removing members goes, check with an attorney in your state to get
the best advice, and then draw up your removal conditions based on that
advice. I know for Coops in WA, members can be removed although there is a
process that has to be followed, including a legally recogized mediator, when
the captial investment is over a certain dollar amount.

Rob Sandelin
Forming Cedar Village Coop