Re: Working woth a developer
From: Denise Meier and/or Michael Jacob (dmmjwco.com)
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 12:42:36 -0500
On Fri, 8 May 1998, Mike Malone wrote:

> if  some members have considerable experience in the construction
> trades,  some members have experience in small business start-up,
> they have a ready source of capital up-front, and some members have
> the ability to perform a full time job on top of the rest of their
> lives.

We had ALL of these, actually, and I still would never choose to
self-develop again.  (We're not even done yet, and we're a full year
behind schedule). I don't recommend self-development at all. We didn't
think there was enough money in this project to pay a developer's fee, but
we've spent all that and more on mistakes and now on a paid project
manager. Our prices are some 20% higher than we originally thought they'd
be, and us old-timers are plumb wore-out.

Denise Meier
Sebastopol, California