Re: Working woth a developer
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:18:32 -0500
Self development can work. It takes years,  especially if you are
simultaneously trying to raise kids, earn a living, otherwise have a
life,  and learn how to be a city planner and developer as you go.

How it worked for us at RoseWind Cohousing in Port Townsend Washington (
a town of 8000): A few families got the land purchase started: the seller
didn't want all the money at once, so that worked to our mutual
advantage. Every six months we made a downpayment on an additional acre
of the 9 acres, and kept up payments on the previously "initiated"
blocks, as well as paying the taxes (minimal) on the whole thing. We were
able to keep up with the payments on an out-of-pocket basis: we need $500
this month, who can put more in?; and we also had a monthly assessment we
added to the kitty--all credited to our eventual lot purchase.

We are in the City, and the land had been platted long ago into 57 little
single-lot parcels, with broad street right-of-way easements crossing in
a grid. Obviously not what we wanted. So we learned how to do a Planned
Unit Development proposal. With excellent support from the City Planning
and Building Department we went through one "hoop"  after another,
learning as we went.

Besides deciding among ourselves (now about 6 families) what we wanted
our site plan to look like-- where the home sites would be, the commons,
the common house lot, the streets and paths--- we learned how to get it
certified as non-wetland, how to do a Master Transportation Plan, how to
satisfy the Universal Fire Code with the right sort of turn-arounds and
hammerhead Ts for fire engine access, Environmental Impact Checklist, a
drainage plan that allowed for the "hundred-year storm" (with
"biofiltration swales"-- ditches!),  a street and parking plan, fire
hydrant and sewer cleanout locations, utility placement (all buried), and
so on. Plus the persuasive prose to make our case for being allowed to
redesign this part of town, at all!

We also included a proposal for a block where we had permission to set up
offices, studios, and such (non-retail) for "home-occupations" of
RoseWind residents. We also got permission for some of our housing to be
"multi-family", in a part of town that's all single family. We got
numerous street sections "vacated" so that the platted roads could never
be run through. We successfully got Public Works to OK narrower streets
than the recently-enlarged standards, as well as various parking "pods"
instead of 8-ft parking strips down all the roadsides.

We made our case in a series of public hearings before the Planning
Commission and City Council.
And we got just about everything we asked for.  From land purchase to PUD
approval took several years. We spent only minimal amounts of money on
professionals-- the occasional lawyer consult, the things that needed an
Engineer's stamp.

Designing our housing units was not an issue, as we are a lot-development
model, with owners building to suit their taste, needs, timetable,  and
budget. Our housing has ended up as eclectic as our members-- cottages,
and big homes, a dome, soon a straw-bale house, houses of wood, and
houses of Ener-grid blocks of recycled styrofoam and concrete, stuccoed.
In short, it blends right in with the surrounding area.

It would have been way faster to pay professionals to expedite things.
But we didn't have the money, and over time, we got it done anyway.

When another batch of people joined, they pitched in to get the CC&Rs and
Bylaws and such done.
Now we are 20 households (having just "annexed" a neighbor) and 10
families live on site. By the end of the year, three more will be in and
another 2 or 3 homes started. Meanwhile, we take care of the commons,
work in committees (including common house planning) , have monthly
business meetings, sometimes get weekly community suppers going, and help
each other out in various ways. We have gardens going, and an artistic
concrete pump house for our garden water well. Just now the grassy fields
have "rivers" of crimson clover in bloom, where we re-seeded the swales
that had to be carved out for the drainage plan.

I wouldn't discourage using "pros": but if there are obstacles to doing
so, know that it's not absolutely necessary, if you are able to have it
take longer.

Lynn Nadeau at RoseWind Cohousing
5 minutes drive from anything in town, but with sightings of deer,
coyotes, foxes, rabbits, eagles, hawks, and owls!