Re: Neighborhood Area Network (NAN)
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:09:09 -0500
On Sat, 9 May 1998, Joe Gotobed via chyba wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'd appreciate advice about providing dedicated network connections to
> each home (& Common House). We'll break ground 10/98 (18 HOMES LEFT!)
> and I want all the infrastructure in during construction while the
> walls & trenches are open.
>
> I'm planning a feed (xDSL, ISDN, T1) to a switch in the CH, fiber-optic
> cables to each home and then Category 5 wall-jacks.
>
> I think estimating  $500 for each fiber run and $100/jack in the home would
> be more than enough.
>
> Comments please. I'd also appreciate any bids or proposals you may have.

I don't think I would bother with fiber.  However, I would want to run
multiple Cat-5 runs to each house and maybe a few strands of RG-6.  As far
as installation, I would want to run Cat-5 to multiple locations in each
home and use it for telephone service as well.  Lots of flexibility is
very important.

-- Matt