including old postings
From: Robin D. Ellison (Robin.D.EllisonDartmouth.EDU)
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 08:24:41 -0500
--- You wrote:
I don't know if others of you feel this way, but I really wish people wouldn't
include the message they are responding to in their postings.
--- end of quote ---
I'm on the digest version, so please excuse me if this has been answered before.

I believe the common "netiquette" for responding to a post is to quote only the
relevant part and not the whole message.

This is considerate of the reader in two ways, it offers a reminder about what
the conversation is about [as it may be taking place over several days], and it
does not force them to reread the entire message.

This is also considerate of the entire Internet community as it also does not
use unnecessary bandwidth [the capacity of the net to carry all the traffic],
and as the traffic on the net is at present doubling every 100 days, saving
bandwidth is important.

hope that is helpful

Robin Ellison
Hartland VT.