Re: co-housing v.s. old-fashioned neighborliness
From: Roman Bitner (lilbertconcentric.net)
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 15:07:35 -0500
Jim Willits wrote:

>         I have to agree with robin ellison. the continued suburban sprawl with
> "hip" new packaging ..."cohousing" is still just traditional suburban
> sprawl. Urban restoration and village revitalization is the real need and
> the unit costs can be very low by selecting the neighborhood. The economic
> impact of a similar group investment into an existing neighborhood would be
> very significant and could change the course of history for a particular
> neighborhood.    jim willits
> http//www.bioactive.com
> http//willits [at] bioactive.com
My guess is that you have not seen or heard of Southside Park Cohousing,
N Street Cohousing, or any of the retrofit cohousings built or being
built. You have missed one of the crucial ideas in cohousing, not
mentioned as much as it should be, perhaps. Efficient land use is key to
cohousing and many of us are deeply committed to it. You are way out of
line to say we are suburban sprawl. There ARE groups who include low and
moderate income houses, and we worked hard to be one of them. Please do
your homework before posting again. Your only motivation seems to be to
demoralize good people who are trying to build a better community, and
it is really offensive.
Liz Stevenson