RE: Cohousing as Investment?
From: Rob Sandelin (Floriferousclassic.msn.com)
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:09:14 -0500
The experience in the NW is that the average built cohousing unit runs about
$160,000, which is pretty close to the $185,000 new home construction average.
Of course, for that price, you also usually get some common facilities, such
as a commonhouse, shop, and other stuff. (At Sharingwood you get 24 acres of
forest)

You can save quite a bit of living expenses once you buy your home, such as
food costs (bulk buying, community meals, community gardens) Childcare
(usually freely swapped around) Transportation (opportunities to car pool,
share rides, even car sharing)

But, if I am doing the math right, there are 620 built or soon to be finished
cohousing units, of which less than 5% are not market rate or above. So its
definately not low income as a rule.

Read my article in the current Communities Magazine for my perspective on
money issues in cohousing.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood