Re: co-housing v.s. old-fashioned neighborliness (fwd)
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 22:22:59 -0500
Gail Curry curryg [at] unbc.ca

I think the key is the design of the community.  Cohousing is designed to
encourage community interaction (common house and common outdoor areas,
houses close together, kitchens at front, street furniture, pedestrian
streets, etc.); most single-family developments are not.  (In fact, they
tend to be designed to discourage community interaction.)  Also, the need
for a sense of community is the main reason people get involved in
cohousing; this not the main reason people buy a single-family dwelling in
a typical subdivision.  So in cohousing, you have the essential ingredients
for community: design to encourage interaction and people who want that
interaction.

This is not to say that one cannot improve the sense of community in a
regular subdivision, but it would take a lot more conscious effort, and you
would be fighting against an anti-interactive environment and people who
just may not be interested in what you are trying to do.

Gail Curry
Prince George, British Columbia